Sunday, February 13, 2011
Anti-Prom and Anti-Valentines': Two Peas in a Pod?
Flashback to high school for a moment with me. As a junior, I was forced to make a life-altering decision. Should I go to prom?
First off, I should explain that my school's prom was unlike many of the events I see on TV or hear my friends describe. Our prom was jokingly called "NCAA Basketball Tournament" because of its location-the high school gym (themes that didn't win out included "Fornication Under the Sea"). We had free pops and a few veggie trays out in the cafeteria adjacent to the gym, and the decorations were probably on the discount page of the prom sales magazine (hello, pink cardboard cut-outs). There were no limos, no dinners, and no hotels. Hopefully this paints a clear picture for you.
Another factor in my decision was that I was not a very cool kid (I still am not, for the record). Who would be my date? All the science nerds and less athletic jocks were taken, so I would have to go by myself. At a couples-heavy event such as prom, this can often be awkward and extra uncool unless you have enough back-up with you.
Now, as an adult, another couple-related event is coming up: Valentines' Day. Many people are bitter about the holiday, while others are giddy and excited. I don't really fall into either of this categories, so I'm not quite sure how to respond to the holiday.
Most of my Valentines' Days in my life have been spent doing non-couple things. In elementary school, it was my duty to make a cardboard shoebox into a magical valentine card receiving unit. I received a lot of the "You're a Good Friend" valentines (Star Wars and Power Ranger themed, no doubt), but not many of the "I'd Pick You, Valentine" valentines.
Later in life, I spent Valentines' Day in the company of good friends, watching unromantic movies and eating Thai food, by myself eating ice cream, or some combination of these things. I did have one Valentines' Day date with someone I had met once (that did not go well, by the way) when I was a junior in college, but I'm not sure I would even count that.
For the past few years that I have been in a relationship, I've celebrated the holiday in traditional fashion, with dinners and wineries and chocolates all around. These were nice dates, don't get me wrong. But the dates I remember the most have been ones that weren't forced. Going to sushi for no reason, baseball games, and trips to the zoo are all fond memories that fall ahead of the Valentines' Day memories.
For all of you wondering the outcome of the prom decision, I did not go to junior/senior prom that year. Instead, a few amazing friends and I hosted an "Anti-Prom Party." A very crafty and creative friend planned out various party games, such as "Pick a Date," where each attendee picked an envelope that contained a "dream date." Bill Clinton was an option, as was Steve Urkel, if you were wondering. There were many other games, food, and general fun had by all-way better than basketball prom.
I guess the point is that Valentines' Day shouldn't be such a big deal. We should do nice things for our someone (or many someones) special all the time instead of having a commercial holiday to tell us. Sometimes, the unlikely events are the better memories anyways. So for all of those going out tomorrow, have fun-but don't throw it in everyone's face. Someone may be having a just as good of a time at their anti-Valentines' Day party, anyways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment