Sunday, February 6, 2011
Super Bowl Match-ups: Food
Well, we all know my Super Bowl prediction doesn't really mean a whole lot. I'm not a professional sports analyst and I know it, so I've decided on a prediction of a different kind. What sort of food should win out in the epic battle of Super Bowl Party food decisions? Here are a few key match-ups:
1. Dips
Dips are a popular subcategory of Super Bowl fare, mainly because they are a breeze to make, easy to store (hello, Crock Pot), and delicious to eat. Dips that come to mind are those for vegetables (ranch dip usually), those with bread or crackers (spinach or other sour cream based dips), and those served on chips (cheese dip with sausage or other ingredients). These may vary in type or dipping apparatus, but this is a generalization. All can be scrumptious, but there may be too many appetizers to get to all of them. You have to have a strategic game plan for this course.
Outcome: Cheese dip is probably the most delicious, but it borders on main course. Don't get burnt out early in the game by meat and cheese. Stick with the vegetable dips for this one. Your stomach will thank you.
2. Pizza vs. Wings
Here's the breakdown on main courses. Pizza, in all of its many forms, is delicious. It's a whole meal contained on a single slice of bread. The only down side to this delicious choice is that it may be too filling. This could be detrimental if you are trying to make rounds at several parties, or if you need to sample many dishes at one party. Use with caution.
Wings, on the other hand, are quite delicious but may be messy. If your kind host or hostess provides you with enough napkins to do clean up with, then I would give the green light on this one. Wings can also have a wide variety of types and flavors, making them almost as versatile as pizza. Wings are also the quintessential football food, making them a must-eat today.
Outcome: I know only one team can win, but why limit your main courses because of it? Eat/serve both.
3. Desserts
To those trying to have lighter Super Bowl fare, perhaps you can find a fruit platter somewhere. For those of us who consider the Super Bowl a mini-Thanksgiving, I would suggest finding something a little more on the excessive side. I saw some cookie cakes in the shape of football helmets at the local grocery store, along with football themed brownies. These would be a good acquisition for the fourth quarter drive. If you're feeling extra festive, maybe some chocolate fondue style desserts would be in order. Either way, there are many solid dessert choices to pick.
Outcome: Don't skimp on this category. I would go for the signature dessert at the party first. Is there a football field sculpted out of chocolate? A cake shaped like a football helmet? Get these first as they'll run out quickly, then branch out to the lesser desserts if you have room.
Whatever the outcome of your Super Bowl extravaganza, I hope these tips helped you to make the right picks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment